Audio Video Feedback – Christine Rhodes

Feedback

Dr Christine Rhodes is a lecturer for University of Derby Online in Clinical Supervision. In this report, she describes how she used a screen capture and audio/video recorder (Kaltura) to provide feedback to her students, who were studying online.

“Last semester, I used Kaltura to provide video feedback to students regarding their end of trimester essays. For this assignment, students were required to write a 3000 word essay to evaluate the contribution of four major counselling theories. The effective use of critical analysis, synthesis of ideas, extensive research and academic writing contributed to the overall strength of the assignment.

I provided traditional feedback using a rubric that delineated the stated objectives, reflecting on student responses to each aspect individually. In addition, I recorded an 8 to 10 minute video to accompany the written commentary for each student, which was recorded in Kaltura and then copied and pasted into each student’s personal folder in the module.

The use of video feedback was a new activity for me, and I found both benefits and challenges. There was a positive and rewarding personal experience when speaking to the student, rather than carefully choosing the written word to reflect on their efforts. I found I was able to explain certain misunderstandings more ably this way.

For example, I found explaining the difference between transference and countertransference more successful as I could use hand gestures and body language to convey the meaning of such abstract concepts. I was able to convey a positive and upbeat tone, hence encouraging students and congratulating them on their hard work. In my opinion, video presentation of positive feedback provided a more genuine and sincere platform than the traditional use of phrases such as “good work” or “well done.”

The process to make each video was lengthy. This could be because I am a beginner, and in time, I may become more adept at getting it right first time. I must admit to re-taping several times because I did not like my initial attempts! As I only had four students, I was able to accomplish this, but with a class of 30 plus students, it is unlikely I would attempt to provide both written and visual feedback due to time constraints. That said, all of the students in the class were delighted with their video feedback and stated that they found it extremely helpful.”

Keith Taynton

Created by FIM : 01/09/2015 11:31:15